The energy transition, engaged to combat climate change, will lead to sweeping changes in the energy value chain… and well beyond. In fact the unprecedented consequences of this mutation are going to cause upheaval across the entire economic landscape. Services will change, as will the markets downstream of the industry, along with regulations and the decisions of players in the economy. In short, the economy of tomorrow will not resemble today’s economy and its intrinsic energy dependence.
Armed with this knowledge, Carbone 4 accompanies client companies to help them anticipate this new landscape and envisage possible future scenarios. This forward-looking approach is a valuable tool that enables companies to build medium- and long-term strategies that are compatible with the energy transition and mitigation of climate change.
Forward-looking studies investigate possible options using quantified scenarios to test the resilience of the company’s economic model and identify risks and opportunities.
- Is the outlook for growth in the activity sector compatible with the availability of energy resources in coming decades?
- How will final user needs change under a 2°C scenario? What will be the impact on my company’s strategy?
- What will the energy system look like in 2040, for different geographic zones and growth trajectories?
- What will be the impact of a price on carbon (internal or external) on my activity?
New business models
Faced with growing pressure on energy resources and primary materials, and to limit disruption of the climate, certain activity sectors must reinvent themselves and revise their strategic orientation, taking these constraints into account.
- What proactive vision can my company adopt to anticipate the emergence of new business models that integrate the transition?
- What are the economic and carbon balance sheets for a given new model (electric highways, electricity-powered mobility, etc.)?
- What are the necessary conditions for the success of a new value chain in my sector of activity?
- What are the most promising markets for my company in the context of this transition?
- What strategy should I adopt to structure a dynamic new activity in my economic sector?
- What impact would a carbon price have on my strategic orientation?
Innovative value chains
Carbone 4 provides companies and government authorities with insight on assessment of carbon and economic performance and on the potential for development of emerging low carbon value chains.
- How can a new chain be developed that maximizes economic, social and environmental benefits? Read our wood communication note
- What recommendations can be submitted to public authorities to foster emergence of a new market or value chain that supports the energy transition?
Public policy evaluation
Public authorities have a crucial role to play in addressing the structural issues of energy and climate. To this end we help public and private actors in the economy answer the following questions:
- What is the demonstrated effectiveness of a given support mechanism for a specific value chain?
- What solutions should be supported, and how, to obtain the most benefits for the community?
- How should we assess the relevance of various public policy measures (e.g. Territoire à Energie Positive pour la Croissance Verte in France)?